Sunday 22 April 2012

Where I Want To Live: The George Tavern



Last weekend I spent the day hanging out in one of East London's finest and most historic public houses The George Tavern on Commercial Road for a photo shoot I was doing at work. 

After visiting the pub for a film night a couple of years ago, I thought it would be the ideal location for a photo shoot so was really excited when the manager gave me the thumbs up. 

The pub has been standing for 700 hundred years and for over a decade, owners Pauline and Toby have transformed it into an arts, music and performance venue while still maintaining so much of its original character. 


Above the pub itself is a theatre room followed by a three storey house where the owners work and live. I was most taken with the attic bedroom , I met the man who was lucky enough to live in this room during his teens although these days it is more like a museum of curiosities. 




A table in the attic room was filled with what I believed to be a large collection of objects that had been found in the pub throughout the centuries including a mummified rat below. Gruesome. 






Hanging up in one of the rooms were a collection of singed knitted jumpers all from BHS. I want to try out this technique to my jumpers. 



One bedroom had been transformed into a dressing room with rails of the most enviable vintage and fancy dress clothes include these paper mache masks. 



The bar was home to this incredible pair of Spice Girl-esque platform trainers. After trying them out for size, I put them next to Maria's modern day flatforms to get the full effect. 

The George Tavern is open daily hosting film night on Monday, quiz night on Wednesday and gigs, exhibitions and vintage fairs throughout the weekend.  

The George Tavern, 373 Commercial Road, London E1 0LA, nearest station: Shadwell DLR or Whitechapel Underground. 


4 comments:

  1. Since when did you have a Blogspot Jez?! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I set it up ages ago but decided to actually post on it when I got bored one evening. Thanks for being my first (and only) follower x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi... I am looking for pictures of all sorts of attic rooms. Loved your post. Do you have anymore pics of The George Tavern attic room. Doing an animated version of Gogol's Diary of a Madman. Looking for references for his room.

    Thanks

    Sol

    sol@solgolden.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sol. I have only just seen this comment. Am I too late for you now? Let me know if not and I can see what images I might have.

      Thanks

      Jerry

      Delete