Saturday 7 April 2012

Top Shop: Kitsch Kitchen


I've been to Amsterdam a couple of times in my life but it wasn't until my trip last year that I realised how great it was for home ware shopping. A perfect example of this was Kitsch Kitchen on Rozengracht discovered by mum, who always has a keen eye for kitsch. 

The two storey supermarket is home to a mixture of Dutch and Mexican folk art inspired products that look like they have come straight from a Day of the Dead procession. 

Living up to its name, the store is packed full of plastic kitchen accessories, colourful toys, painted pottery and   fake flowers making it a total breath of fresh air compared to your average home shopping experience. I was in my element, so much so that I went back twice. 


It was impossible to miss the unbelievable selection of pinata's that filled the ceilings. I certainly wouldn't want to be whacking any of these with a stick. 







This satin shark cushion reminded me of this ornate Great White Shark Coffin from Ghana. I'm regretting not buying it. 


There was no way I was leaving empty handed, in fact my mum, sister and I bought so much that I decided to get it all out and photograph it back at our holiday home!


My favourite purchase were these neon orange and pink plastic flowers that now sit in the window of my flat. 



Visit the Kitsch Kitchen store at Rozengracht 8-12, Amsterdam and find out more at www.kitschkitchen.nl

No comments:

Post a Comment