Monday 26 March 2012

Top Shop: Search & Destroy


Like every year, I wasn't really looking forward to January, that was until I found out I was off to New York with work. I had been to the city before but my previous trips had been totally touristy and I still felt like I didn't know what all the fuss was about. But when my boss and I found ourselves trying on 5" platforms in the first hour of landing, I knew I was in for a good time.

Prior to this visit, all I knew of New York shopping was Bloomingdales, Macy's and the giant Toys R Us in Times Square with a big wheel in the middle of it. So stumbling across East Village's Search & Destroy and being presented with a Mr. Blobby costume and a window full of dolls definitely came as a welcoming surprise. 


Search & Destroy is a Japanese punk-vintage store that looks like it could have come straight from Harajuku's Takeshita-dōri, which happens to be my favourite shopping streets of all time.


Everything about the shop was my fifteen year old selves dream. 



These pink fluffy brothel creepers reminded me of a bag I made using the same fabric for GCSE textiles.




It's unlike me to post something risquè but these pin-ups tan lines were too good to miss out. 


 

Unlike the average second-hand store you'd find on Camden Market, the walls, shelves and ceiling were filled with toys, objects and film memorabilia that made it feel more like you were wondering around a museum then a shop. 



I used to own one of these Po from the Teletubbies rucksacks but I can assure you, this won't be something I'll be bringing out again in my mid-twenties. Unless I decide to go for a career change as a lady clown or something. 


I like a bit of weird and wonderful but some of the things in this cabinet did cause distress. 


Sadly, I didn't buy anything in the shop as I spent all my money in Trash and Vaudeville next door but there was lots of good stuff on offer, including many of the toys themselves.

You can visit Search & Destroy in East Village at 25 St. Marks Pl (between 3rd Ave & Astor Pl) New York, NY 10003.


And while I'm here I thought I'd give a mention to two more highlights from the trip. The first is this amazing bacon cheese burger accompanied with three giant gherkins and a pot of guacamole from DuMont Burger in Williamsburg. What made it even better was the chocolate ice cream milkshake that followed for dessert. 


And then we have these beautiful but dangerous Jeffrey Campbell platform trainers that I was oh-so-close to buying until I came to my senses and realised I am a grown woman, not a 15 year old Spice Girl fan. Who am I kidding, I still want them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment