Saturday 27 August 2011

Clogs, Cheese and Lots of Green


This August I made a return trip to Holland for the first time in ten years. I have been visiting the country since the age of three and while I am very aware of its uniqueness, I feel like there is too much focus on Amsterdam in the media and other areas seem to be neglected. 

With this in mind, I was keen to be remind myself of the traditions that make the Netherlands so special which is why I visited the tourist town of Zaanse Schans



Located in North Holland, the picturesque town of Zaanse Schans is a perfect welcoming for all things Dutch.


 With sky lines of windmills, clog and cheese making demonstrations and ornate wooden houses, the town looks like it has come straight out of a Dutch fairytale.


This cheese factory was a right treat, especially as the shop was dishing out samples of every variey going. My favourite was the smoked cheese that comes in the shape of a sausage and is best accompanied with balsamic chutney.



If, like me, you like a good photo opportunity then Zaanse Schans does not disappoint. I had a ride in a giant clog while my mum opted to sampling a slightly smaller pair. 


One of the towns star attractions was the clog museum home to every style of clog imaginable. Clogs are the most famous of the traditional Dutch attire and were originally worn by workers for foot protection and for clogging which was a special kind of dance. 


 Brides even got their own personalised clogs made for their wedding day. As pretty as they look, I'm not sure how graceful I'd feel heading down the aisle in a clumpy pair of these.




A correspondent brogue, Minnie Mouse style slip-on heel and roller clog were amongst my favourite designs.  We were also treated to a live demonstration of how the clog was made which was rather satisfying. 




The winner for the best sign of the trip went to this notification placed in front of the fields of sheep and goats. I happen to be typing this whilst stuffing my face with the second sandwich of the day...

If you like the look of Zaanse Schans, it's also worth visiting Volendam just down the road. Unfortunately we didn't make it but this happens to be one of the few places where people still dress in the original Dutch clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment